You only need three things
You need a ruck, more commonly known as a backpack. We don't care if you show up with a Walmart special or a high end brand like GORUCK. The goal is to get started. Here are three things to look for:
- Thick comfortable shoulder straps
- Secures the weight close to your back
- Cinch it down all the way, so the ruck is higher on your back
Water is important. You are no good to your team if you bonk on a ruck. You can use a hydration bladder or a collection of bottles. Just bring fluids. (Beer is for afterwards)
- You’ll get thirsty, bring water
- Hydration bladder preferred, so you can drink on the move
- Nalgene bottle in your ruck, mix in electrolytes here
Last, you will need a weight. Ruck plates are easy to secure and compact, but you can use bricks, sandbags, or even those college textbooks you keep saving but never used.
- Ensure it’s stable and close to your back while rucking
- Ruck Plates are compact, which saves space in the ruck
- 20 lbs (Beginner) to 50 lbs (Expert)
There are many resources online for equipment and clothing. Click below to see a list of recommended sites.